Sunday, January 17, 2010

One week down...

Okay, I'm going to start this off by saying that the internet speed here is ridiculous. I finally had to give up trying to watch missed episodes of Jersey Shore (I know). I'm fulfilling my trashy MTV quota with a show on MTV.co.uk called, "Blonde Charity Mafia" - pretty much Real Housewives/The Hills, but in DC. Horribly addicting...

Homestay:
Anyway, everything has been going well so far...we have another week of orientation before classes/work start. Today is the first sunny day we've really seen since being here...I might need to take pictures haha. This past weekend we all had a homestay, so I stayed with a family in Surrey. It was nice getting homemade meals and seeing a part of England outside of London - I had chili + rice the night we got there and pot roast last night. I also tried Marmite - not good. Ironically, while all my friends back at school were in Windsor, ON for the weekend, all of us here went to Windsor Castle yesterday for the day. It was fun, but unfortunately a lot of the rooms were closed for cleaning & it started raining :(. My fake mom packed me lunch though, which was delicious. I had this odd looking mini pear, which was the best pear I've ever consumed, hands down. Despite saving money this weekend on food, I used that as more of a reason to let my love for museum gift shops take over. I ended up buying two cute tins of tea at Windsor Castle & a bunch of postcards...useful?




Other than that,
London has been treating me quite well - I thought I was going to haaate my building compared to the others, but I actually really like it. I absolutely love the people that live here, and we all seem to get along pretty well...no drama yet, haha. We've done some work at a few pubs, and went out Thursday night. We ended up at a place called the Bathhouse, I think...it was fun, I caved into McDonald's on the way home though. Ooops. I found a cheeseburger in my fridge Friday morning...don't know how that got there. The rest of this week should be pretty relaxed, some orientation stuff, a little touristing around, etc. I'm about to go grocery shopping with a few girls, which is intense. Grocery-shopping Londoners know what they want - I'm too busy staring at all the good-looking labels. It's so hard not to think that the price is in dollars, until you look at your bank account & realize that your 150 pound withdrawal was really like $280 :(.

Off to do some grocery shopping... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment